On November 12, Physician Associates family medicine physician Michael Young, MD, presented “Healthy Living: Understanding Diabetes” at the Dr. P. Phillips YMCA. He provided a comprehensive overview of this disease which affects millions of Americans. He covered:
- glucose and insulin and how they interact in the body
- insulin resistance and how lifestyle and nutrition choices can lead to prediabetes and then full diabetes
- risk factors and symptoms of diabetes
- steps patients can take to turn their health around, including diet changes, exercise and the importance of healthy weight loss
- current diabetes medications available.
His presentation was full of important information...